Monday, 7 March 2016

Anna Abroad! Malaga,Spain 4-10th January 2016

You might not think it or fully understand but I feel that I was incredibly brave. I had no idea how my body would cope with flying - reading the accounts of others isn't the same as each sufferer suffers differently.

Hooray for wheelchairs and ear defenders is all I'll say. Without either I would not have been able to get to Malaga or leave the apartment. We found the apartment on Airbnb and couldn't have been happier with it.





We were a very short walk/wheel away from the seafront and I managed to get out every single day for at least a coffee on the beach. This is not something I would do at home. It isn't sensible; to leave no energy left in the tank at the end of each day. But I was on holiday and it was wonderful to let my hair down a little. 




I barely walked at all. I did try it one day, managing to navigate my way down the hill from our apartment and to the sea to dip my toes in the water. Much too cold I must say! But then the batteries in my legs started to run out before I'd even reached the bottom of the hill to get home, and, quite amusingly after regretting slower and slower and taking smaller and smaller steps, I actually came to a halt and Mr Tree Surgeon had to sit me down and go back to get the wheelchair to get me back up the hill and to the comfort of our apartment. 

We found Malaga to be incredibly accessible to wheelchair users and only came across one dodgy drop kerb that saw me catapulted out of my wheelchair and onto the floor. There were even outdoor lifts by the marina and slopes next to steps everywhere we went. Every beach we went to had a long path right down to the shore. Perfect for pushing a wheelchair along instead of struggling against the sand and pebbles. 




It is now March and I feel that, after two months, I am finally over the post Christmas and holiday setback. Now though I'm conscious that people will question things; that if I'm well enough to go abroad I'm well enough to do x y and z. If only my friends, if only. 
Post a Comment